This was stated before I signed up for the blog:
“Some readers may find the content of this blog objectionable.”
Some? Really?! Lo, Blogger Terms of Service, you underestimate us.
A few random thoughts:
– Remember when albums were made for the sake of the album, not 1 single and 15 songs of filler? Those were the days. There are rare exceptions, but for the most part, long gone are the days of gems like “Led Zeppelin IV” and Def Leppard’s “Hysteria”, or even Offspring’s “Americana” (I know, all of these are questionable).
A few more recent bands are trying to bring back the idea of the album, specifically on the wings of engaging storytelling (prog-rockers Coheed and Cambria and British hip-hop artist The Streets immediately come to mind), and some lesser-known acts can be tossed in there as well. But anymore, music is about making the fastest buck and getting the hell out of Dodge. That’s not art, people. That’s crap.
– Diet Sunkist is not half-bad.
– This bakery down the street sells these little mini-pies. They rule! They have cherry, German chocolate, chess, and a few other ones. (Quick aside: if you don’t live in the South, “chess pie” is basically “throw sugar, vanilla, eggs, vinegar and cornmeal in a bowl, mix it all together, throw it in a pie crust and bake until the top looks like a poorly-maintained sidewalk”.)
– Everything comes back in style… bell-bottoms, leg warmers, sweater vests; the list goes on. But why not the lute? I mean, seriously… there are some incidents and situations that a regular explanation will not do justice. What if you could just instantly become a bard on the spot, using flowing song, as well as perfect rhythm and meter, to explain how the chick at McDonald’s totally gave you a Coke instead of a Diet Coke, AND put ice in the drink when you explicitly asked for none? There’s no way you can expect everyday speech to achieve the desired effect.
– Ever notice how 8-bit and 16-bit video games had the BEST music? Even the cheesy ones still had the most infectious, catchy tunes. Some of my faves: “Iron Tank”, “Mega Man 4″, “Sonic 2″. I won’t even get into the SNES – that’s an entirely different beast altogether. Oh SNES. *sigh*
Time to go play a slightly-more-than-16-bit game.